Why it’s worth traveling for…
A beautiful boutique hotel set high in the hills of one of Portugal’s celebrated wine regions, Six Sense Douro Valley is a renovated 19th-century manor house set amid glorious gardens and woodlands, and offering panoramic views of the vineyards. A delight for nature lovers and wine aficionados, the eco resort has its own wine library and hosts on and offsite tastings. Hidden hiking trails along the Douro River can be explored on foot or by kayak. The guest rooms are romantic and earthy with neutral tones, textured walls, Portuguese oak floors and some have wooden bridges that lead out to secret gardens. The hotel is also home to three restaurants including an outdoor terrace with vineyard views and luxury spa that draws on nature and Portuguese traditions to promote relaxation and rejuvenation.
Six Senses Douro Valley, Quinta de Vale Abraão, Samodães 5100-758 Lamego
+351 254 660 600
The hotel is a scenic 75-minute drive from International Airport Francisco Sá Carneiro (OPO), Oporto, and a 4-hour drive from Lisbon, Portugal’s capital.
Visit the historical gardens of Quinta de Vale de Abraão and Casa de Mateus, a 26-minute drive from the hotel and part of Six Senses Douro Valley’s goal to preserve the unique heritage of other homes within the Portuguese Association of Historical Gardens. Booking a chauffeur-driven classic car tour is a luxurious way to explore the Douro Valley, driving through vineyards and heading to lunch and a few wine tastings.
60 guest rooms
The Vale de Abraão Restaurant (Seasonal market-inspired tasting menus indoor and outdoor terrace setting)
Pickles Restaurant (Organic, plant-based menus created with ingredients from the hotel garden)
Garden Barbecue (Grilled BBQ restaurant in the gardens among the vineyards)
Quinta Bar and Lounge (Chic lounge offering cocktails, tapas, afternoon tea, regional cheese, and wine selection).
Wine Library and Terrace (Wine and tapas bar)
Six Senses Spa Douro Valley combines the healing elements of water, stone, wood, and nature along with traditional Portuguese rejuvenating treatments. The spa, which is accessed by a candle-lit stairwell features a nail bar, alchemy bar, consultation rooms, vitality suite with a sauna, infrared sauna, steam room, and a laconium and herbal sauna. The resort also has a fitness center, outdoor pool, indoor pool, and wellness programs designed to relieve stress, promote better sleep, boost immunity and promote overall health. Forest Bathing is also offered as a signature therapeutic treatment amid the incredible beauty of the surrounding forest.
- Douro Valley Wine Tasting. The hotel wine team curates on and off-site wine tastings to introduce you to the magical wine region
- Curated Picnics. Enjoy a picnic of chef-prepared Portuguese cuisine paired with the region’s best wines along the river or in the vineyards or wood, where reliving childhood memories of tree climbing is a must.
- Immersive Experiences. Try a cooking class to learn the local cuisine or a tile painting workshop to learn historical Portugal stories as you master this traditional art form and keep your handiwork as a souvenir.
- Spectacular river-facing pool with lounge chairs and views of the valley.
- Wellness Programs. Focus on de-stressing, improving sleep patterns, and restoring your energy levels with the hotel’s Sleep Wellness Program.